Thursday 7 May 2009

Hawker Food @ Padang Brown, Penang

I guess Padang Brown is no longer the stranger to anyone in Penang. During one outing, we dropped by Padang Brown around 2pm. And we were lucky that we went there earlier. As after few minutes, it was packed with people every where. ^-^
We were seated in front of the Poh Piah stall. And his business is awesome. You will see him non-stop preparing the poh piah. We waited for sometime before the poh piah is being served.
Poh Piah
I am not the fans of poh piah as I prefer Spring Roll. However, hubby do enjoy having poh piah. I find the poh piah is quite nice. As it is not watery. As I dont really enjoy watery type of poh piah. ^-^

Hokkien Mee
This bowl of hokkien mee is for my gal. She fall in loves with hokkien mee nowadays. I guess, she is addicted to hokkien mee. ^-^ So most of the time she will opt for hokkien mee if there is any stall selling it. It's good too, so I have more hokkien mee posts. lol
She found that this hokkien mee is a bit too spicy for her though. But she still try her best to finish it. I tested some of the soup base and it tasted ok.
Char Koay Teow
I feel like having char koay teow, so hubby order this for me. I found that the char koay teow is just so - so for my liking.

Penang Laksa
Hubby feel like having some laksa..... so he ordered himself one bowl of laksa...... And hubby comments that the laksa is ok.
Furthermore, we also ordered:
Pan Fry Bean curd (Tau Kua)
This is totally different beancurd (tau kua) from what we usually ordered. This is not deep fried. It is pan fry. So you can see that the colour is slightly whiter. When it is being served, hubby and I think that this must be tasted awful. But, after we tried it with some chili pastes, it tastes something different. And we quite enjoy it. If you like the pure bean curd flavour, you will love this dish.
Hubby is wanting to try their lok - lok but I stopped him. I told him that we will come back some other days to try on their lok - lok only. So we will plan another trip back just for lok - lok. ^-^ And there are also other foods to try such as yong tau foo............. I am sure that there are something for you in Padang Brown.

15 comments:

New Kid on the Blog said...

The Popiah and CKT really make me drool la.... wish I could have them all now... :)

J2Kfm said...

one of the reason i dun like Penang's popiah is that they are mostly watery, drowned in the gravy. or soup. or whatever.

but this one looks good. and come highly recommended as well, from most reviews. will try them when the time comes ...

minchow said...

Ahh the best part about eating with loved ones... can share and try a bit of everything! Really wish I can go to Padang Brown now!

worldwindows said...

I like lots of greens (herbs) on my laksa + bunga kantan. Only in Penang!

Anonymous said...

Where is Padang Brown? Do you have the map to go there?

serene said...

Hi
Where is Padang Brown? Do you have the map to Padang Brown?

ck lam said...

Looks like you already have all the yummy food sold in Padang :)

allie said...

I am with J2Kfm, don't really like Penang popiah as it's watery..

gill gill said...

i just brought my KL friend there on 3rd may. How bad luck are they as majority of the tasty hawker stall do not open on Sunday! So i have no choice to bring them there...lol. i found this poh piah has a fresh taste of seafood (crab) from the gravy. Taste good.

Trevor said...

I used to eat the popiah here since I was a kid. While it is still quite good, it was far better in those days where real crab meat was used instead of crab sticks

buzzingbee said...

ya the poh piah here is not bad.

My Taste Heaven said...

Well, if I tell you I am from Penang but I never had any meals at Padang Brown, can you believe?
Anyway, from your pictures, the char koay teow looks so nice! I am not only a fan for hokkien mee but also char koay teow.Hmm, must know your girl one day :)

Unknown said...

NKOTB - Then did you go makan after work? ^-^

J2Kfm - Yes.... I also don't really enjoy watery kind of poh piah but this is dry.... ^-^ Will wait to see your review soon.

550ml jar of faith - yes.... i agree with you. Never mind wait till your holiday then you can come back and makan. ^-^

worldwindows - in KL there does not serves lots of greens (herbs) + bunga kantan?

Anonymous and Serene - I will place the google map in my blog posts, check it out under map location. If you have any problems write to me. ^-^

Unknown said...

ck lam - really? thought have some more foods i left out. ^-^

allie - me too... but you can try this one. Not watery. ^-^

gillgill - glad that you enjoyed it. ^-^

Trevor - yes... I heard that they used to use real crab meat. ^-^

buzzingbee - agree with you. ^-^

Unknown said...

My Taste Heaven - Really? You should drop by there one day and try it out. ^-^ So you are not only queen of hokkien mee but also wueen of char koay teow. ^-^ Wow... my gal is going to be popular... many people want to know her. ^o^

Blog Widget by LinkWithin